Monday, February 13, 2012

We Bought A Farm



Okay, the first thing that I learned in setting up a blog is to save what I am writing because I just lost an almost completed first blog.  So, I will keep this shorter and add something new gradually (that was in the unsaved version).  Yikes!  Such a novice, I am.  But I just saved it and checked out a preview.....Whew!

So, the short version for tonight.....We bought 20 lovely acres complete with an old farmhouse, a pond, garden, small pen, and a very tiny workshop.  It is a blank palate for us.  We cannot wait to get started developing it into a small-scale, producing working farm.  We plan to hay some of the property, raise some marketable, grass-fed livestock, and sell several organic garden products.  We have so much to learn!  But we love the country life and the challenge and have a great resource in our agriculture expert son, Derek. 

The house and immediate surrounding property are requiring the bulk of our attention right now.  It needed lots of clean up as you can and will see in before and after pictures that I will be posting.  Here are a few of my favorites:

Before

After

Before

After
I love, love, love the original pinewood floors that we refinished.  I always thought I was a carpet girl but these floors are awesome!  Needless to say, we have lots of work still to do like new flooring in kitchen, bathroom, and dining room, windows replaced, paint the outside and electrical work (thank goodness for our son, Mark, the electrical expert) but it is really feeling like home!  We love it out here.  One of our favorite acquisitions with the property was the previous owner's dog, Shasta.  Yes, that's right....She is now Shasta Scasta :)  Here are her before and afters.  She is so cute now and has such a sweet personality.  She really helped Tucker settle right into country life.

Shasta is the long hair and Tucker is in the front.

All trimmed up and looking good!
So needless to say, one of the best things about having a farm is bringing the grandbabies out here.  I look forward to summer cousin camps at BiBi and PaPa's farm, fun weekends, and holiday gatherings.  Here are Bella and Cockadoodleloo in a standoff.


So, I will sign off for tonight.  Stay tuned and learn right along with us as we learn how to make a farm!  Sweet dreams!


8 comments:

  1. Oh I love it!! Yes, save is a very important tool! It should auto-save for you though ;) look forward to more! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually found the draft after all was said and done. Live and learn! Stay tuned!

      Delete
  2. Great job! Looking forward to updates!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an exciting time in your lives ~ I'm planning to come visit some weekend. I expect you to have a chore or two for me so I can leave a small footprint at the "farm"! Love you guys!
    ~Cousin Jo~

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so excited for you to get up and running! I am a mother of three small children (1,2,& 4) and can't wait to come pick from your leftovers:) I am looking to go all organic but on a mommy of 3 budget. I just can't handle anymore sickness...it has to be the food my children are eating:( We live in Grand Prairie, but we own an insurance agency in Waxahachie...Cooper Insures. Hopefully we will meet one day:) Please feel free to contact me when you have some things available chasity@cooperinsures.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chasity, I just happened to have this up. Thanks so much for checking in with us! Please do plan on coming. I will put Pick Your Days on the Event Link on this blog and on our FB page. I definitely look forward to meeting you. Feel free to share our link with your friends here and on FB if you have a FB account.

    I look forward to meeting you as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. No updates since March of 2012, Is farming over?

    ReplyDelete