Thursday, February 16, 2012

Preparation

So as we embark on this adventure, we know that we should prepare ourselves well.  Fortunately, we have a son who is a former Ag Extension Agent and who is working on his doctorate in prescribed burns.  His knowledge and advice are priceless!  We are also surfing the internet a lot looking for websites and resources.  I have provided a section at the bottom of the page for links that I like.  I have also added a book list of the books we are soaking up.

In my search for books that addressed holistic land management, biodiversity, and organic farming, I stumbled upon some books on biodynamic farming.  I have to say that the readings on biodynamic farming are the most interesting yet disturbing that I have read so far.  They enter a realm that is hard to fathom and one I don't want to enter.  Yet, they also project great knowledge and insight regarding the health of the entire world and our responsiblity in restoring land to health and wellness.  I found a lot of what I read very interesting and challenging as someone who is becoming a steward of a parcel of land.  While the philosophical and theoretical approach is a bit strange, I am learning interesting things regarding some practical application to farming.  It is worth broadening your mind and enriching yourself regarding different schools of thought to read books on biodynamic farming. 

For you newbies out there, I discovered something great today at H & R Block.  The lady filing our 2011 taxes gave me a Farm Tax Record Book that H&R Block provides.  It is a great accounting tool for anyone especially if you are new to this business.

Ronny is working on designing the layout of the property such as crossfencing and location of outbuildings and corrals.  The garden area was thigh-high in weeds and grass when we moved here.  I mowed it immediately and then scalped it last week.  Soon as we know tax damage (or not), a tractor is next on the list to purchase.  We will either start working the garden soil with our own tractor or tap into the neighbors' offers to help with dirt work.  I am also going tomorrow to talk to different nurseries in town to see who can give me the best deal on blackberry bushes.  Yes!  Blackberries from Scasta's Farm will be a main crop.  Stay tuned in the event section for possible public pickin's!  I am also leaning toward figs and lettuce greens as public crops.



Sleepless Night

One of the deals with living in the country is that there are inherent dangers lying around different corners.  Especially if the property was somewhat unkept with surprises buried in deep grass.  Our dog, Tucker, cut his foot a few weeks ago, possibly on metal imbedded in grass.  He ended up getting it repaired at an all night Animal ED to the tune of way too many dollars. 

He has been on limited mobility for the last two weeks and spends the nights tied up.  Welllll, last night the coyotes were howling all night long and so were Tucker and Shasta.......right outside our bedroom window.  Needless to say, he is officially off limited mobility.  His cone cracked with the freezing weather this weekend anyway so we took it off.  The gash is still open (some of the stitches came out) but Momma needs some sleep :)

No comments:

Post a Comment