Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Tractors, Google, and Burner Phones

We have learned a few things as we continue on this very fun and wonderful journey of establishing a farm business.  First off, it is so important to have a plan.  Now we had a general plan, but the concept of having a PYO (Pick Your Own) farm was something "huger" than I ever thought (is huger a real word?)  Anyway, I initially listed us on a PYO website to start getting our name out there so that when crops came in, we would have a fan base built.  WELL, people are literally "hungry" for PYO farms and the fan base is built before the crops are in!  My phone has begun to ring off the hook!

I had my personal cell phone number listed at first but discovered that I needed a separate business phone.  I checked out some of the "burner; go; or disposable phones that are now available.  I basically need a simple phone to leave general messages on and to serve as an answering machine.  I highly recommend going this route instead of buying an expensive phone with a contract for your business.  I bought a PayLo phone yesterday and activated it. I also updated all the business listings with the new number.  I had five phone calls today! Not to mention, I feel very important carrying two phones :)

I also recommend setting up a business email separate from your personal or work email accounts.  This will make it more streamlined when you need to respond to emails.  If business emails are buried in your personal and work email, you may overlook messages that you should respond to.  Google is a great tool for starting a small business.  I set up our farm email account and this blog on Google.  The blog basically serves as our business website for the time being.  I also intend to figure out how to use Google for documents.  The recent economic conditions have spurred people on to try their hand at starting their own businesses and Google is a really great internet and digital source.  If you have any tips on how Google documents are used, please leave a comment.

The biggest demand that we see in our phone, email, and FB queries is for strawberries!  We initially planted 50 plants.  Well, needless to say 75 more are being shipped and will be planted ASAP because of the demand that is taking place.  We cannot guarantee a strawberry crop yet this year but that remains to be seen. 

A tractor will be one of your larger purchases in starting a farm. Ronny searched patiently and diligently to find a tractor that would do the things he wanted at a price we could afford without debt. That patience paid off and he found a great 1988 Massey Ferguson. It's red with a black smoke stack. It looks so "farmy."




I can't post this blog without mentioning how amazing the bluebonnets and wildflowers have been here in North Texas.  We have massive fields of blue bonnets in our area.  Check out the little patch on our property.  I took it with my cell phone.



And of course, there are the before and after pictures that folks keep asking for.  I plan to start painting the breakfast nook this weekend.  It is such a cute little room.  I can't wait to freshen it up.  I did finish that teeny tiny little powder room.  I don't have an after picture of it yet but it turned out so nice.  I was really glad to get it done!  The kitchen is finished for the most part.  Ronny did some custom cabinet work on the bottom cabinets.  Didn't it turn out cute?




One of my next projects coming up besides getting ready for kittens and chicks is preparing for our church preschool afterschool kids.  They will spend a few hours a week this spring and summer at the farm learning all about gardening, beneficial insects, butterflies & humming birds, and will be able to watch our baby chicks grow and develop.  I can't wait to work with the kids!

Well, like I said before, we absolutely love our new home.  We have awesome neighbors and a beautiful. peaceful place that takes us out of ourselves and reconnects us with nature and each other.  It is a healing place.  Ronny told me goodnight a little while ago and said, "Have I told you that I love this place (and my tractor)?"  I think you've heard me say that a time or two. 

Good Night and Happy Farming!




No comments:

Post a Comment